Countdown to American Citizenship: Day One
How incredibly exciting! My lifelong dream of becoming an American is *about to come true*. Our final citizenship interview is 20 days away — September 23 — and I am going to ACE THIS EXAM. It all started when I was 8 years old, living in Suffern, NY … when one day my parents announced we were “moving back home” and I thought “WTF — I am home!!!” … I’ve been fighting to become a citizen of this country, again. After a 17-year wait for a Green Card … a 1-year Green Card process … and 9 years in the country as a U.S. Permanent Resident I’m finally going to be able to vote (hang in there Hillary!)
So … are you knowledgeable enough to be an American? I will have to have to answer a random set of questions from this list of 100 questions on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Web site — see if you know them all y’all ‘mericans out there: Link
Here are the first 5 questions of the oral exam (and answers):
SECTION A: Principles of American Democracy
- What is the Supreme Law of the Land? Answer: The Constitution
- What does the Constitution do? Answer: 1: Sets up the Government; 2: Defines the Government; 3: Protects basic rights of Americans: Link
- The idea of self-government is in the first three words of the Constitution. What are these words? Answer: We the People.
- What is an Amendment? Answer: 1: A change to the Constitution; 2: An addition to the Constitution: Link
- What do we call the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution? Answer: The Bill of Rights.